Sunday 28 July 2013

Poppies

Papaver commutatum 'Ladybird'
 There has been a small flurry of poppies in the garden in the past few days, giving fleeting pleasure. Although sowing annuals in ground infested with weeds was not a good idea really, I couldn't be without them for a whole season.

Papaver rhoeas 'Fairy Wings' - surprising greenish-yellow pollen.

The perennial P. paucifoliatum; this has been the only flower so far on the bits I brought from Colesbourne and in some way the single flower accentuates the intensity of the orange colour.

My favourite: Pam and Sibylle's pure white P. somniferum, my plant of the year 2011.

It combines well with other plants - Anthemis 'Tinpenny Sparkle' and Heuchera 'Raspberry Ripple'

Less welcome, the weedy but demurely pretty Papaver dubium, of which I have pulled out thousands of plants during the course of the spring and summer.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful poppies. I scattered Papaver commutatum seed in a border this year, and we have one or two plants performing well, and I've spotted more foliage emerging this week. I could fill a bed with those poppies, they are so glorious!

    Lots of P. dubium spring up all over our garden too, pretty but I find their colour less exciting.

    I love your white opium poppy, simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photo of the pure white Somniferum - love the way you have captured the shadow in it - great work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.